When Johann Diederich Neuhaus built his first wooden shaft winch in 1745, he presumably had no idea how decisive it would later become for the effortless movement of heavy loads. This masterpiece, however, did allow him to be registered as a “fabricator” in the “Masters’ roll of Sprockhoevel manufactories”.
Thus, the foundation stone for the J.D. Neuhaus company was laid. We initially produced winches for the locks and the many horse-drawn barges on the Ruhr river. Later, the winches were used for lifting railway carriages onto the tracks and for loading goods. Use in coal mines in the German Ruhr area became increasingly significant and in around 1880, our winches were already capable of moving loads of up to 7,500 kg. As the quality of the available materials improved, our products became increasingly compact and high-performance.
A historic innovation was made by us in 1952, with the construction of a hoist with a compressed-air driven vane motor. For our principal customers, who were from the underground mining industry, this represented a decisive advance. With the new J.D. Neuhaus air hoists, it was possible to work significantly more effectively, economically and safely. This marked the start of our very own economic miracle.
Still today, seven generations after its foundation, J.D. Neuhaus remains in family hands. The hoist museum at our Witten location demonstrates that history is a living part of our corporate culture. Since the mid-nineties, we have been a member of the “Les Hénokiens”, an association of companies that have been in business for at least 200 years, are still family-owned and managed by the descendents of the original founder. In the case of J.D. Neuhaus, this is Wilfried Neuhaus-Galladé. Under his management, the course of the family-owned business was adapted to the changed conditions predominant in global markets.